Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Welcome Back! From the Chancellor

Chancellor Carranza welcome students to the 2018-2019 school year.

September 5, 2018

Dear Families,

I hope you had a terrific summer, and that you are as excited about the year ahead as I am. It is a delight to welcome you to the 2018–19 school year.

I was up before my alarm this morning, my mind racing with thoughts about all the incredible things we are going to do together this school year. This is my first full year as your Chancellor, and my focus this year is on the 1.1 million students here in New York City—and my promise to make our public school system the fairest and strongest in the nation.

I know that we can’t achieve that promise on our own—we need one another. My own parents entrusted me to the public school system. They relied on our schools to teach me English, and together with their support I became fully bilingual, and was the first in my family (alongside my twin brother) to attend college. Our families and educators are in this together, and we succeed together. We promise to meet you where you are and get information to you where and when you need it. You play a key role in your children’s education, and we are here to help you make critical decisions about their future.

We understand that you are entrusting your children to us, and we do not take that responsibility lightly. We promise to teach your children in safe, welcoming schools, and hold high expectations for their success. We will challenge your children academically and support them socially and emotionally. We will deliver excellence through equity, so that every student graduates from high school with the ability to write well, think like a scientist, understand history, and learn computer science. We will teach all of our students to think critically, speak passionately about important issues, and work in teams to achieve big things. These are the skills needed to succeed in the 21st century.

Together, we will make 2018–19 a year of high expectations, a year of equity and excellence, a year in which we lift all our students to greater heights.

Thank you for your support. I wish you and your children a wonderful start to the school year.

In unity,

Richard A. Carranza
Chancellor

For more from the Chancellor, click here.  For tips to help you get ready for a great school year, click here.

No comments: